Words by Laura Bayliss
If there’s one thing that gets us going as much as plant power, it’s girl power – and even better if we’re supporting small businesses at the same time. We have some amazing new suppliers in store and online at Grace & Thorn, whether you’re looking for a way to pamper the loved ones in your life, or for a personal magic potion to treat yourself with, these products are just the tonic and best of all, they’re all headed up by brilliant women.
Folklore, magic + botanicals
In 2010 in a quest for healthy living following the birth of her daughter, MOA founder Charlie Fowler was drawn to the ancient folklore of herbalism. Yarrow forms the base of most of the MOA product range, a powerful hedgerow herb that has been used for millennia to nourish and repair. Legend has it, Achilles healed his soldiers’ wounds after battle with this little floral miracle worker. The yarrow used in MOA products is grown on an organic farm in Somerset, where it is often sown and harvested by members of the MOA team. Show your skin some love with their natural organic skincare products made in England, inspired by traditional folklore and, according to their website, containing a sprinkling of magic! All MOA products are cruelty free and free from petrochemicals, parabens, SLS, phthalates, fillers or artificial fragrance.
What to buy
- Brighten your day, awaken your senses and give your skin a nourishing glow with the Hello Sunshine Energising Body Oil.
- Wash away your worries with the Dreamy Mineral Soak, drawing inspiration from thousands of years of therapeutic salt baths.
- Bring balance and strength at this hectic time of year with the Fortifying Green Bath Potion.
Palm of Feronia
Crystals, essential oils + a Roman goddess
Who wants crystals in their skincare? We do! Keeping with the ancient historical influence on our skincare products, Feronia is the Roman goddess associated with health, healing, fertility, wildlife and abundance – a perfect figurehead for sustainable plant-based selfcare. Founded by Sophia Harding after battling with adult acne, this all-natural product range is gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin. All the products are made by Sophia in small batches in her artisan lab in South East London. Palm of Feronia combines the principles of aromatherapy and crystal healing, using earth-derived ingredients that have proven positive effects on our physical and emotional wellbeing. Best of all, each product actually contains small crystals carefully chosen to enhance the power of the product.
What to buy
Choose from one of three aromatherapy pulse oils to roll on to palms, wrists, temples, the back of the neck or your feet to release their active aromas. All vegan and cruelty free and made with 100% natural ingredients with no preservatives, artificial colourants or fragrances.
- Release – to feel calm, cool and to ease tension. A soothing and uplifting blend of lavender, sandalwood, bergamot, clary sage and peppermint. With crystals of lapis lazuli, amethyst and clear quartz.
- Soothe – to destress, relax and unwind. A reassuring blend of lavender, cedarwood, vetiver, bergamot and ylang ylang. Contains amethyst, blue lace agate and moonstone.
- Energise – for focus, motivation and confidence. A powerful blend of frankincense, orange, rosemary, ginger and grapefruit. With yellow jasper, madeira quartz and banded carnelian.
New wave aromatherapy for the 21st century
Eve Williams is on a mission to give aromatherapy a bang-up-to-date identity reflecting the demands of modern life and the stresses and expectations of our world today. Using the best organic and natural ingredients that are certified vegan, and all made in small batches in the north of England, ede products encourage us to be the very best versions of ourselves, connecting inner wellness with external skincare – how we feel in our mind and body shows on our skin. Our sense of smell elicits the most powerful response of all our senses and so carefully selected blends of natural plant oils, each with their unique aroma and properties, have been selected to work in combination for the ultimate reset and reboot. Ede’s tagline is ‘skincare + wellness, on your level’: this is very much modern aromatherapy for the modern age.
What to buy
- Post Shower Nirvana Body Oil – softening, nourishing, moisture replenishing, with a citrusy scent grounded by cedarwood to create a calming, restorative experience. Packed full of antioxidants and essential nutrients to offer protection from life’s less appealing elements and keep skin luminous. You really can’t ask for more from your skincare.
Roll On Therapist – if stress and anxiety feel like familiar friends, pocket yourself a mini roll on therapist. Roll on to the inside of your wrists or temples, or any other pulse point. Inhale, feel transformed, and reapply as needed.
A home from HOLM + Lady Muck herself
From none other than Grace & Thorn founder Nik’s sister, Laura Southern, comes The House of Lady Muck. Laura has more than a decade of experience in the fashion industry, so it’s no surprise that HOLM’s product line is effortlessly cool and focused on making people feel good about themselves. Named after the fact her mum used to call her Lady Muck around the house, HOLM is a collective of women who love to create: straight-talking hustlers who support the sisterhood. There is a Hackney studio offering manis, pedis and nail art, while the beauty and lifestyle ranges are designed for soothing stressed-out, overworked minds. These are natural vegan products, all made in the UK. So get those laid-back vibes going, create more moments of happiness in your day, and feel relaxed and pampered like the true #HOLMGIRL we know you are.
What to buy
- The OG Pink Scented Candle – inspired by the feeling you get when you get home from work and want to chill out immediately. Destress and put your feet up with the scent of bergamot, pimento berries and parsley. Made from responsibly sourced soy and hand-poured, the burn time offers 30 hours of relaxation. There’s also a Mini Me version, with a 20-hour burn time.
- Shut Eye Calming Spray – A rosewood and chamomile pillow and room mist that provides instant relaxation. Use either just before bed or whenever you feel the need during those high pressure days. The blend includes marjoram, known to calm anxiety and boost sleep.
- Hand on Heart Hand Cream – Deeply softening, healing and nourishing with a high oil content to penetrate the deeper layers of skin without being greasy. Smells deliciously of vanilla and parsley seed. It has a fancy gold pump too…
- Liquid Gold Bath Oil – A pink pepper and rosemary infused bath oil with a dried larkspur flower inside every bottle, grown in the Kent countryside. Made from avocado oil and hemp seed oil to hydrate and soothe tired, stressed-out skin.
- Eau de Parfum – A unisex scent with a heady blend of pepper, amber and rose. Created to make you feel Sexy AF. Developed in Paris (where sexy is their middle name) and made in the UK.
Flower essences + staying true to your nature
Flower essences are made by gently steeping plants or flowers in water under the warm glow of sunshine. You then add drops of the essence to your drinking water throughout the day to experience their individual benefits. They’re mood boosters – to give you pep before a big day, ease nerves or just help calm you down amid the general Christmas mayhem. Founder of Flomacy, Hannah Knight, is a practising naturopath with a clinic in Islington and a background in biomedicine, nutrition and flower essence therapy – so she really knows her stuff when it comes to getting the best from nature in order to get the best from your nature.
What to buy (only available in store)
Choose from six flower essences, each carefully formulated to help combat the common barriers we all face to being our best ever self.
I Can – for confidence – an instant boost of positivity, self-belief and courage. And to banish self-doubt, fear of failure and negativity.
Anti Bitch – to rid yourself of resting bitch face and embrace a kinder approach. For patience, tolerance, forgiveness and compassion. And to let go of anger and irritability.
Focus – for productivity. To encourage enthusiasm, clarity and motivation. And to wave goodbye to procrastination, lack of direction and indecision.
Calm – for slowing down… To unwind, switch off and relax, when you’re feeling overwhelmed, stressed and uptight.
Optimism – hope and light in a bottle when you’re feeling despondent, sad or negative.
- Worry not – for inner peace, rational thought and trusting in the unknown. To move on from anxiety, catastrophising and hiding behind a brave face.
The alchemy of CBD + harmonious self-care
APOTHEM lab products are designed for our hectic modern life using the highest quality, ethically and organically cultivated THC-free CBD. Hemp has been used around the world in food and medicine for ever, and CBD (cannabidiol) is known to have the power to calm and soothe body and mind. In the APOTHEM labs, it’s not all about the alchemy of CBD though, it’s about total botanical synergy. Perfect interactions of carefully selected ingredients are combined in their products to create harmony in the body and restore balance. Amelia Baerlein, CEO and co-founder of APOTHEM labs, and her co-founder Tony are equally obsessed with the power of plants and unlocking the potential of CBD. Each formula used in the range is uniquely developed and rigorously tested for maximum restorative impact.
What to buy (only available in store)
- Vegan CBD 58% Chocolate – We all know chocolate is the answer to many of life’s dramas, but add some CBD into the mix and you have one tasty way to recentre and regroup. This is a vegan 58% chocolate containing 30ml of organically cultivated CBD.
- Day CBD Oral Drops (5%) – For day-to-day wellbeing, clear thinking and balanced mood. It’s safe to say could all do with a bit more of that.
- Multi CBD Skin Balm – An essential ‘does it all’ balm designed to soften and soothe skin. Combines pure CBD with antioxidant green tea oil, mango butter and hemp seed oil for maximum hydration.