Some like it hot! Sriratcha with Klara Risberg
Recipe and words by Klara Risberg
Everyone’s favourite spicy condiment! Imagine it being a thousand times nicer than the one we all know from a tub. I can’t even begin to tell you how delicious this homemade version is. You will be putting it on everything. It’s a relatively quick fermentation, only five days compared to others which can take months. The recipe makes roughly one litre which may sound like a lot but it lasts for months and based on my own experience, a jar of it makes a fab gift!
900g red chillies, stems taken off
90g sea salt
95g brown sugar
95g caster sugar
4.5 tbsp fish sauce or miso for vegetarian/vegan friendly
4.5 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1. Weigh up chillies, sugars, garlic and salt and blitz to a paste in a mixer. Transfer to a clean bowl or big jar and cover with a lid. Let it ferment for 5 days and burp each day (open the lid).
2. After five days of fermenting it’s time to mix.
3. Transfer to a blender/mixer and mix to a fine paste, depending on the power of your mixer it can take 5-10 minutes, so let it wizz on.
4. Add the mixture to a big pot and add fish sauce (or miso for vegan) and vinegar and simmer for five minutes.
5. Fill up a couple of sterilised jars and let cool before closing with a lid. Keeps in the fridge for months (but it won’t last that long, it’s too good)
For more of Klara's amazing recipes, visit her website and her Instagram, and visit our other posts on The Cut!